New Site

I've moved and all new postings are at my new web site. Please visit me at www.rwcfoto.com

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Gore's Art: Made in the Ghetto

Please visit my NEW SITE and read about Russell there!


Russell Gore
While walking through the French Market in New Orleans during my recent trip, hoping for inspiration for our photo assignment, I spotted Russell Gore. His bright green shirt and the gold medallion around his neck are what drew my eye initially. He was sitting at a table laid out with his artwork and was finishing some additional pieces while waiting for customers. He calls his business Gore's Art: Made in the Ghetto and he designs and makes jewelry. He uses colorful strips of plastic, molded together, to create bright and funky pins. I liked them so much I bought two of them.

Russell is a passionate golfer who plays whenever he has time to get out on the course. His green shirt is significant in that he always wears it on the Sunday of The Masters if Tiger is in the hunt. I don't know if he'll be wearing it today or not! He hopes to see Tiger competing for the green jacket again but confesses that he thinks it may be a while before that happens again.

When I asked if I could take his picture, I told him that the shirt and the medallion were what had originally caught my eye. He said, "There's a story about the medallion." I asked him to tell me and he suggested I take the picture first. I should have taken the hint but I insisted that he tell me. That medallion you see in the photo is made from his wife's gold. She died in his arms during Hurricane Katrina. After her death, he gathered it all up and turned it into that medallion. He finished by saying "You can take my money and all the rest that I have and I'll go on. If you take my medallion, I'm coming after you." Somehow, I had trouble focusing the camera to take his picture after that.

As I took my leave, he gave me a reproduction of a newspaper article that had been written about him. When I finally got a chance to read it on the plane home, I discovered he was even more remarkable than I had first thought. Credit goes to Dre Dorse, the author of that article, for the following tidbits:

  • He was born and raised in the St. Thomas housing development in New Orleans, otherwise known as the projects.
  • He studied commercial art and photography in college and worked as a graphic artist before setting out to start his own business.
  • He spends at least two days a week back at the St. Thomas projects working with kids to try and keep them away from drugs and other destructive behaviors
Russell truly is a remarkable, humble, thoughtful man and it was a real pleasure to share a few minutes of his time. His art is cool too!







9 comments:

  1. Loved this! Made me want to meet this man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm betting he had his green shirt on yesterday. And if, for some reason, he did not, I'm betting he wishes he had worn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool story, GREAT post. I love talking to strangers, although my close friends say I never met one. It's amazing what you learn when you genuinely ask people about their background. Bought a few new garments at Macy's last week and struck up a conversation with the gentleman who helped me, then fought tears all the way out to my car after hearing his story. Russell very much reminds me of that Macy's sales associate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in New Orleans in July. In the last few hours of our stay we went to the market. As soon as I saw Russell's beautiful jewelry I had to have it. I bought a beautiful pin that looks like an angel wing and a pair of earrings to match. I get compliments every time I wear them.
    I wish I purchased more

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found a piece of his art at Goodwill and googled his name and the term "Gore's Art Made in the Ghetto" and this is what I found. So cool. Diane in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought these earrings because something about them just caught my eye and knowing he is from New Orlrans make them even more special as I 2 have family from the area...Hurricane Katrina affected many and his story touched my heart in so many ways and owning these earrings made from a man with not only talent but a heart touching story I hope I one day get them opportunity to meet the man behind these beautiful earrings ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got my earring from The Bis Shop is Houston

    ReplyDelete