New Site

I've moved and all new postings are at my new web site. Please visit me at www.rwcfoto.com

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mega-softbox

It was a few minutes before sunrise and it had snowed just enough the night before that the schools had declared a 2-hour delayed opening. The sky was still thick with clouds, almost to the ground, and there was enough fresh, new snow to make everything clean and white again. Sounds were muffled and the air was still. In short, it was one of those rare mornings that make New England winters worthwhile!

The clouds and the snow also made the light amazing. It was broad and soft, with no harsh shadows. It really was like being inside a gigantic softbox. The challenge, of course, was to make the camera see and, more importantly, reproduce what I was seeing. These are exactly the conditions that highlight the difference in dynamic range (the difference between the brightest highlights and the darkest shadows) between the human eye and a camera. The eye is so much more capable of adjusting to extremes.



I manually bracketed just about everything I shot, moving the shutter speed over a 2 stop range on each frame. In geek-speak, this gave me frames with the majority of the highlights at the right side of the histogram, at about the 3/4 point, and just above the half-way point. In the end, when I got the images back to the computer, I found that the ones I liked the best, and believed were most usable, were the ones that pushed the histogram to the right. Unfortunately, while this gave me the best color balance and the most detail in the highlights, it seemed to lose detail in the shadows.

For example, much of the foreground in this picture is lacking detail straight out of the camera. The picture here, though, has been retouched in Lightroom with an adjustment brush to increase the contrast in the foreground.
55mm, ISO 800, f/8, 1/20 © Richard Critz
Even with that adjustment, there isn't much detail in the foreground. In order to get more pop in the foreground, I had to take the image into Photoshop, duplicate the image, mask the away the background and set the duplicate layer to multiply, thereby increasing the detail in the foreground. I realize it's a subtle change but it makes a huge difference when the frame is printed. I also added some "packaging" to make it more "cool".

In general, I found that everything need a little bit of localized contrast tweaking using the adjustment brush in Lightroom or more wholesale multiplication of pixels in Photoshop. A small price to pay, really, for the opportunity to shoot in such incredible light.

2 comments:

  1. Loved that print when I saw it on FB a couple days ago. The conditions for a photo like that were perfect. But the element of style you brought to it, IMO, was using the evergreens as a key part of the photograph rather than taking the customary "framing" approach by moving them to the left edge. Excellent choice and very well done.

    Is the art print touch, or frame & footer, whatever one calls it a feature built into Photoshop or Lightroom? Or did you create a template of sorts on your own. That's cool, I need a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that presentation isn't built-in. I did it all manually in Photoshop, though I would be lying to you if I told you it was difficult. Expand the canvas to create the border, add a couple of titles, center it all up, and you're done.

    I *strongly* recommend Deke McClelland's Photoshop CS5 One-on-One training. You can buy the book or you can access it all online by subscribing to Lynda.com. I learned CS4 from his book and it was the best investment of time/money I've made.

    ReplyDelete